Which apps to install?

Started by Ruskie, November 30, 2013, 08:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Gee, I see this forum is not very crowded...  :-\
I hope someone can help me with this.
I have an old computer with SSE2 CPU and a CUDA capable Nvidia card (512MB video RAM so it should be able to run seti apps). Right now it is running stock apps but I would like to run optimized apps instead.
I am unsure however which one to download. For example, for Astropulse I see there is an SSE2 application and a CUDA application. Problem is, both contain a app_info file which seems to direct ap works at them exclusively (that is if I use CUDA app_info file, only GPU is getting those works and not CPU, and vice versa).
Same applies with MB apps.
Which one do I choose to have both GPU and CPU work on tasks?

Thanks!

November 30, 2013, 09:00:24 PM #1 Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 09:18:59 PM by Jason G
Hey,

What distribution and video driver are you running ?  Are you OK with some manual gymnastics there?

Apart from the downloads I see here, a number of Linux users for Cuda multibeam so far build straight from my Berkeley commits lately, but certainly far from a good 'easy' solution.   I'm running a Cuda 3.2 build for the Cuda multibeam, under Ubuntu x64, that I can try make available & would probably work quite well (assuming distro & driver are OK). 

For CPU multibeam and Astropulse, I think there is something there from Lunatics/Urs-Echternacht in downloads,  I haven't been watching those developments lately though, so can't describe their status/compatibility.

Whatever combinations of applications you choose, combining the app_info.xml files into one file, and make sure there is only one outer set of <app_info></app_info> tags surrounding the lot, followed by a boinc restart, or machine restart, should do the trick.  Can look pretty complex with a lot of apps, so picking one first to start might be on option.

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.
Charles Darwin
---
Chaos: When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future.
Edward Lorenz

November 30, 2013, 09:36:06 PM #2 Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 09:40:48 PM by Claggy
Quote from: Ruskie on November 30, 2013, 08:21:19 PM
I am unsure however which one to download. For example, for Astropulse I see there is an SSE2 application and a CUDA application. Problem is, both contain a app_info file which seems to direct ap works at them exclusively (that is if I use CUDA app_info file, only GPU is getting those works and not CPU, and vice versa).
Same applies with MB apps.
Which one do I choose to have both GPU and CPU work on tasks?
Each Linux download has an example_app_info_files folder with different app_info combinations, CPU MB, CPU AP, OpenCL ATI MB, OpenCL ATI AP etc, (But not Cuda),
So you can choose one of those to start with.

Claggy

Quote from: Jason G on November 30, 2013, 09:00:24 PM
Hey,

What distribution and video driver are you running ?  Are you OK with some manual gymnastics there?
If I weren't, I wouldn't have installed Linux at all. ;)
I have a freshly installed Gnome Ubuntu 13.10 headless server which I operate via putty/vncserver, though I had to move to Kde 'cause gnome-session is broken in 13.10.

I used to run CentOS as I am an SAP employee and wanted to have an environment I could easily install SAP instances on, but as with most enterprise Linuxes, it has far too outdated repositories and it was too much a hassle to have BOINC run there.

Apart from the downloads I see here, a number of Linux users for Cuda multibeam so far build straight from my Berkeley commits lately, but certainly far from a good 'easy' solution.   I'm running a Cuda 3.2 build for the Cuda multibeam, under Ubuntu x64, that I can try make available & would probably work quite well (assuming distro & driver are OK). 

For CPU multibeam and Astropulse, I think there is something there from Lunatics/Urs-Echternacht in downloads,  I haven't been watching those developments lately though, so can't describe their status/compatibility.
Whatever is optimized sounds good for me! Just explain how to make it work!
What I was wondering in the first hand, however, was just that. That I installed stock boinc, and then Lunatics app with an installer, and I see 1/2 CUDA threads working on seti@home WU, and 8 CPU threads, which of course alternate with other BOINC projects. From that I guess it should be possible to run more than one task type on the same machine but:

Whatever combinations of applications you choose, combining the app_info.xml files into one file, and make sure there is only one outer set of <app_info></app_info> tags surrounding the lot, followed by a boinc restart, or machine restart, should do the trick.  Can look pretty complex with a lot of apps, so picking one first to start might be on option.

...but that's my "problem". This was precisely what I guessed. Now I admit I just looked at all the app_info quickly, therefore I might have missed something but it looked to me that all the app_info had "the same tags"... I mean there were one app for AP work units in CPU and one for AP work units on GPU that had the same "astropulse_v6" tags.
HOWEVER.
However I must be probably drunk because I cannot currently find them anymore - changed browsing platform but cannot see how this would change anything...
I now see only one AP optimized app suitable for my system, so I guess it is all right.
I should have found 1 AP app, 1 MB cpu app and 1 MB gpu app, I'll try to join everything in their app_info file (besides openin and closing tags) and see it that works!

Quote from: Claggy on November 30, 2013, 09:36:06 PM
Each Linux download has an example_app_info_files folder with different app_info combinations, CPU MB, CPU AP, OpenCL ATI MB, OpenCL ATI AP etc, (But not Cuda),
So you can choose one of those to start with.

Claggy
Found them. I will use those example to see how you can combine multiple app_info files into one. Thanks!

For example, this one: _app_info_apcpu+mbcpu.xml should be a good starting point, to which I should only add CUDA infos.

Quote from: Ruskie on November 30, 2013, 09:54:20 PM
For example, this one: _app_info_apcpu+mbcpu.xml should be a good starting point, to which I should only add CUDA infos.

Yep, AP and MB cpu should be a good starting point.  post your proposed app_info.xml if you feel it warrants checking.

I'll try scare up a recent Cuda multibeam build as soon as I can get into that machine without interruptions from the Koalas getting into my sewer pipes.
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.
Charles Darwin
---
Chaos: When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future.
Edward Lorenz

Quote from: Jason G on November 30, 2013, 10:47:41 PM
Yep, AP and MB cpu should be a good starting point.  post your proposed app_info.xml if you feel it warrants checking.

I'll try scare up a recent Cuda multibeam build as soon as I can get into that machine without interruptions from the Koalas getting into my sewer pipes.
Lol. I will. I am off to a concert photo shooting now, so no hurry, I won't have the time to hack into my linux box for a couple days at best.
Thank you!

Are you talking about the Q8300 with the GT210?
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/show_host_detail.php?hostid=7152899

That machine actually has SSSE3 on it.