Upgrade possibilites

Started by arkayn, June 23, 2012, 01:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I definitely need to start saving up some money for a GTX 660 though, something to replace the GTX 460.

Now I have a slight quandary, do I wait for the GTX-660 to show up or do I go with a GTX-570 now.

I just got a $1000 check from an old life insurance policy that my dad had.

lol, hold onto it longer.  Even if you wait & decide to stretch to a 680, you'd use less power than a 570
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.
Charles Darwin
---
Chaos: When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future.
Edward Lorenz

I guess I can hold off until they release the 670 SE and see what that will cost.

Quote from: arkayn on July 07, 2012, 07:02:34 AM
I guess I can hold off until they release the 670 SE and see what that will cost.

What I don't know for sure, but I am suspecting, is that when 680's achieve market saturation Kepler 2's will come out in GeForce form.  If So, That would see prices drop on 6 series to midrange level.  The delays don't look to be in software, but most probably that the HPC community is buying all the raw chips on preorder, leaving nothing left for gaming cards.  I would try hold off until Kepler 2 is out, then Grab a new or even slightly used 680 :D since they'll be outdated in a few months I reckon, lol.
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.
Charles Darwin
---
Chaos: When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future.
Edward Lorenz

Quote from: Jason G on July 07, 2012, 09:15:16 AM
Quote from: arkayn on July 07, 2012, 07:02:34 AM

What I don't know for sure, but I am suspecting, is that when 680's achieve market saturation Kepler 2's will come out in GeForce form.  If So, That would see prices drop on 6 series to midrange level.  The delays don't look to be in software, but most probably that the HPC community is buying all the raw chips on preorder, leaving nothing left for gaming cards.  I would try hold off until Kepler 2 is out, then Grab a new or even slightly used 680 :D since they'll be outdated in a few months I reckon, lol.

I have never liked going for used GPU's and I definitely do not use Ebay or Craigslist.

I guess I will just have to upgrade my phone then.

lol, stupid phones  :D  my old mobile, which died yesterday, was actually only capable of basic calls & SMS.  It had been dropped many times over the years with no issues, but finally gave up the ghost. Next week I'll have to go into one of *those* stores and try by a phone that doesn't have 'fruit'  ::) well maybe try find one that at least has proper keys, lol
Charles Darwin
---
Edward Lorenz

My current phone only has 4 buttons at the bottom, everything else is onscreen.

And no it is not an iPhone, but a LG Optimus V.

Just ordered a EVGA GTX-670.

I think I will put it in with the HD-7750 and put the GTX-460 in my TV machine to replace the HD-4830.

Quote from: arkayn on July 25, 2012, 11:58:57 AM
Just ordered a EVGA GTX-670.

I think I will put it in with the HD-7750 and put the GTX-460 in my TV machine to replace the HD-4830.

Looks like it should be here on Monday, hopefully.

looks like I'll be planning some major upgrades as well, to get into AVX capability leading into V7 cpu apps then x42.  Will hold off until the last of x41z is tied up, then going ivy bridge with room for a second 680. ( since we probably won't see bigK until next year in consumer land).
Charles Darwin
---
Edward Lorenz

Luckily both of my systems already support AVX, even though I am not using the CPU's currently.

I now have a EVGA GTX-650 TI on the way. It will most likely go in next to the GTX-670.

Quote from: arkayn on October 09, 2012, 09:49:01 PM
I now have a EVGA GTX-650 TI on the way. It will most likely go in next to the GTX-670.
From a Cuda perspective, that one actually looks quite tasty  :)  It'll be interesting to see.
Charles Darwin
---
Edward Lorenz

I am not so sure about the 600 series. I will of course wait for the 660 results, but so Far the 680 aint too much more power than the 560Ti.

I consider getting a motherboard with 6 PCIe slots and then buy a whole lot of 500 series GPU second-hand. Before the 41z is out there as beta the 500 series is doing just fine with 41g + 285 drivers.

BTW i signed up for 10year extended warranty from EVGA, so lets see how the 680 + 670 are still running in 2022?!?

Quote from: Jason G on October 10, 2012, 12:10:11 AM
Quote from: arkayn on October 09, 2012, 09:49:01 PM
From a Cuda perspective, that one actually looks quite tasty  :)  It'll be interesting to see.

It should be here Friday as I ordered it early enough in the morning to get it shipped today.

I have it installed, I did cut down my amount of WU/Per GPU to 2 at a time.

I set the card to +100 voltage, +50 core clock and +200 memory clock.

What is the performance of the 660Ti? 650ti?

If you run tests with knabench etc? How many minutes/seconds does one WU take to complete with 41g?

I just caught a deal on a GTX 660 at Newegg.

$175 with free shipping, should get here on Tuesday or Wednesday.