SETI is down again

Started by arkayn, May 15, 2012, 01:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
May 15, 2012, 01:15:55 PM Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 05:21:51 AM by arkayn
Looks like the space sciences lab is down once again.

some sortof infrastructure upgrades maybe ?
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.
Charles Darwin
---
Chaos: When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future.
Edward Lorenz

http://ucbsystems.org/category/active/

nothing scheduled...

Well, at least caches should be able to cope with an outage now ;D
A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. (Mark Twain)

Looks like they are showing it as an unscheduled outage now.

QuoteRichard Haselgrove wrote:
Got some authoritative news.

It is a short at a substation causing a power outage to the hill area where the Space Sciences lab is located. Traffic signals are out on the hill, all the homes in that area have no power.
That was posted as 'current' about half an hour ago. Since the cricket graph flatlined well over 12 hours ago, they obviously need to do a lot more than just reset a breaker. Even once power is available, there'll be a lot of checking to do as the servers spin up again. Don't expect much SETI action today.

May 16, 2012, 09:45:11 AM #5 Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 10:04:02 AM by arkayn
QuoteUpdate: Wednesday, May 16, 2012  4:00 pm: Service desk has been informed that the new ETA for restoration of service is Thursday afternoon.

I think this is ridiculous service for PGE, almost 48 hours to fix this in non-critical weather.

They do not even have it listed on their outage map.
http://pge.com/myhome/customerservice/outages/

May 17, 2012, 09:42:59 AM #6 Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 09:46:55 AM by arkayn
QuoteBrad Deauman wrote:
Here's a quick update on the outage for interested parties:

A 15kV underground power line heading from the campus power substation to the hill that houses the SETI at Home lab shorted out around 2030 on Tuesday night.  PG&E, the local power company, has spent the last two days crawling the line from manhole to manhole looking for the problem.  Apparently while looking for the first short, they managed to cause another short in the line.

PG&E has suggested power should be back working this (Thursday) afternoon however understandably this may not happen on schedule.  Please also keep in mind that it may take some time for the lab to get back into full swing due to this unexpected shutdown.

Thanks go to Dr. Eric Korpela for the above information and for taking the time to fill us in.

Warmly,

Brad Deauman.

QuoteUpdate: Thursday, May 17, 2012 11:45 pm: IST Service Desk has been informed that the power has now been restored.

Most likely tomorrow morning they should get the servers up and running.

Phew! that's good news  :)  Looks like my ~3.5 day cache was way more than enough this time.  Still only half way through that, so I won;t even have to let my machines hammer the servers during recovery..
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.
Charles Darwin
---
Chaos: When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future.
Edward Lorenz

I am hammering the upload server, but might set NNT for the time being.

May 18, 2012, 07:29:50 AM #10 Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 08:25:16 AM by arkayn
Getting closer, about 2/3rds of my completed work has been uploaded now.

And done fairly quickly all of a sudden.

Now I just let it report 50 at a time and I will be done.

From the front page at SETI@Home...

QuotePlanned Power Outage
Repairs are necessary after the short circuit that caused power failures in several labs here on campus two weeks ago. These repairs require a planned power outage, which starts this afternoon (Tuesday 22:00 UTC). We'll be back on line Thursday morning (roughly Thursday 17:00 UTC). Our websites and data servers will be offline throughout this outage. 29 May 2012 | 17:11:12 UTC

Something yellow and fluffy was mentioned earlier today in passing. It took the servers a few hours to get the hint, but they rallied to the cause and went on mass strike.
Amazingly cricket is still showing downloads.
A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. (Mark Twain)

Anyone have any idea what's up this time?

Perhaps they'll get it up and running when they show up in an hour? Rubber band broke again probably.
-Dave

Quote from: Barry on June 10, 2012, 11:36:55 PM
Something yellow and fluffy was mentioned earlier today in passing. It took the servers a few hours to get the hint, but they rallied to the cause and went on mass strike.
Amazingly cricket is still showing downloads.

I think cricket is off it's rocker as neither of the download servers are reachable.

IST Service Status does not list anything on it's site.

And now the Boinc site is down too...

There was some stuff listed here as being worked on today, however it should have been done already, and besides it didn't look like anything related to SSL was listed for that work.

So very confusing indeed.
-Dave

Quote from: Ex on June 11, 2012, 02:06:39 AM
And now the Boinc site is down too...

There was some stuff listed here as being worked on today, however it should have been done already, and besides it didn't look like anything related to SSL was listed for that work.

So very confusing indeed.

I had just checked that site about 30 minutes ago and it was still up. So something is up.

From Mark S, at Lunatics:

QuoteGot word that it is indeed another power outage.
Duration and cause unknown at present.
-Dave

Again from Mark S.

QuoteApparently, the outage is limited to the building the Seti lab is in, and not directly related to the high voltage lines that shorted previously.